Copel, Unifique named as companies behind Consorcio 5G Sul

10 Nov 2021

Regional fixed line operators Unifique Telecomunicacoes and Copel Telecomunicacoes have been named as the companies behind Consorcio 5G Sul, the consortium which successfully bid on a regional 3.5GHz licence in Brazil’s recent 5G spectrum auction. In a regulatory filing Unifique says that it holds a 62.77% stake in the JV, while Copel owns the remaining 37.23% share.

The consortium agreed to pay BRL73.6 million (USD13.3 million) for an 80MHz block of 3.5GHz spectrum (3620MHz-3700MHz), although ‘goodwill’ of approximately BRL69 million will be converted into investment commitments in serving locations in the South of the country.

As per the licensing commitments, Consorcio 5G Sul must now roll out radio base stations in 1,006 municipalities in the states of Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul, and construct backhaul infrastructure in eleven municipalities in the state of Rio Grande do Sul. The companies must deploy a ‘Personal Mobile Service through a technological standard equal to or higher than 5G NR’. The estimated CAPEX to meet these obligations is about BRL500 million, the companies note.