MTS completes second-stage purchase of Green Dot regional fixed operators

19 Apr 2021

Russian mobile and fixed network heavyweight Mobile TeleSystems (MTS) has announced the completion of a second-stage acquisition of assets of the Green Dot group of regional fixed broadband, telephony and digital TV operators. In the latest transaction MTS bought the remaining 49% stakes it did not already own in six regional fixed line operators in five cities – Stavropol, Mikhailovsk, Nevinnomyssk, Elista and Tambov. Previously, in February 2020 MTS acquired 51% stakes in 13 Green Dot group telcos in twelve cities, and it holds an option to buy out the remaining 49% stakes in seven telcos – in Belgorod, Lipetsk, Ufa, Neftekamsk, Beloretsk, Tomsk and Vladivostok – within three years of the original deal, i.e. by February 2023.

Inessa Galaktionova, MTS First VP for Telecommunications Business, said: ‘Having consolidated the main assets of Green Dot in Stavropol, Mikhailovsk, Nevinnomyssk, Elista and Tambov, we will accelerate the development of convergent offers … combining fixed and mobile communications, as well as modern digital solutions for home, business and entertainment. In total, after the transaction is closed, over one million households in twelve regions of Russia will have expanded access to various digital services of the MTS user ecosystem.’

Russia, Green Dot (Russia), Mobile TeleSystems (MTS)