Portugal’s National Communications Authority (Autoridade Nacional de Comunicacoes, ANACOM) has approved the draft rules for its upcoming 5G multi-band spectrum auction. The 5G auction, which is earmarked to take place in 2Q20, will comprise 700MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 2100MHz, 2600MHz and 3.6GHz spectrum. The reserve prices have been set as follows:
· 700MHz; six lots of 2×5MHz (EUR19.20 million [USD20.9 million] per lot)
· 900MHz; one lot of 2×5MHz (EUR30.00 million per lot)
· 900MHz; four lots of 2×1MHz (EUR6.00 million per lot)
· 1800MHz; three lots of 2×5MHz (EUR4.00 million per lot)
· 2100MHz; one lot of 2×5MHz (EUR2.00 million per lot)
· 2600MHz; two lots of 2×5MHz (EUR3.00 million per lot)
· 2600MHz; one lot of 25MHz (EUR3.00 million per lot)
· 3.6GHz (with restrictions until 2025); six lots of 10MHz (EUR840,000 per lot)
· 3.6GHz (with restrictions until 2025); four lots of 10MHz (EUR940,000 per lot)
· 3.6GHz (no restrictions); 30 lots of 10MHz (EUR1.23 million per lot).
ANACOM notes that the prices for the 700MHz and 3.6GHz bands have been fixed with reference to the average reserve prices that have featured in European 5G auctions since 2018. These prices were adjusted considering the size of the Portuguese population, purchasing power parities and the duration of frequency usage rights.