TeleGeography Logo

Telxius acquires 1,909 cell towers from Vivo for USD151m

29 Nov 2019

Telxius – the telecoms infrastructure company co-owned by Telefonica and KKR – has reached an agreement with Telefonica Brasil (Vivo), regarding the acquisition of 1,909 cell sites in Brazil. With this agreement, Telxius will double its Brazilian tower portfolio, reaching 3,850 owned sites. 82% of the acquired towers are located in urban areas, with 52% said to be situated in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. The agreement, which is subject to antitrust approvals, is valued at BRL641 million (USD151 million).

With approximately 3,000 new sites acquired during 2019 in Brazil, Peru, Chile and Spain, and a substantial number of new towers commissioned by customers, Telxius now presides over a portfolio of over 20,000 sites globally. Approximately 70% of these towers are located in Europe (Spain and Germany) and the remaining 30% are in Latin America (Brazil, Peru, Chile and Argentina).

During 2019, around 50% of the new towers ‘built-to-suit’ by Telxius in Brazil have been commissioned by operators other than Telefonica. Going forward, Telxius says that over 1,000 new towers have been commissioned by 13 different clients in the six markets where the company currently operates, thus ‘providing a sustainable growth profile for the coming years’.

Brazil, Telefonica Brasil (Vivo), Telxius

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.