Movistar launches 'LTE Pro', Claro plans '4.5G' launch by 2019

18 Sep 2018

Movistar Costa Rica has launched what it calls ‘LTE Pro’ – understood to refer to an LTE-A upgrade – enabling download speeds of up to 50Mbps for its users in seven provinces, TeleSemana reports. All of the cellco’s current 4G subscribers with compatible handsets will be able to receive the faster speeds automatically and at no extra cost. Movistar’s Communication Manager, Karla Espinoza was quoted as saying of the development: ‘Improvements are already being implemented based on the use of the spectrum awarded last year. In this first stage the focus is on improving the experience.’ The spokesperson went on to add that around 90% of the cellco’s customers are using 4G devices, and the operator is now aiming to migrate the remaining 10%.

Claro Costa Rica, meanwhile, is also working on an upgrade to ‘4.5G’ and is aiming to have 75% of its base stations using the technology by 2019. A representative for Claro noted that the cellco’s upgraded 4.5G network would offer maximum downlink speeds of up to 300Mbps.