TeleGeography Logo

Vodacom said to be mulling Vumatel stake

17 May 2018

Vodacom South Africa is reportedly poised to buy 49% of fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) provider Vumatel, TechCentral writes. Further sources are claiming that Dark Fibre Africa (DFA), in a deal possibly facilitated through its largest shareholder Remgro, will acquire the remaining 51% of the company. In an interview last week, Vodacom Group CEO Shameel Joosub said the company plans to ramp up its investment in fixed-line infrastructure, including FTTH broadband: ‘There is an over-dependence on mobile. We need more fixed in the country … We need to up our level of investment into fixed, either in the form of joint ventures, or in the form of straight-out investment, and what you will see from us is we will start to play a bigger role in the fixed space.’

South Africa, Vodacom Group, Vodacom South Africa, Vumatel

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.