TeleGeography Logo

32% of Hungarian pre-paid SIMs unverified at registration deadline

7 Jul 2017

Hungary’s telecoms regulator, the National Media & Infocommunications Authority (Nemzeti Media- es Hirkozlesi Hatosag, NMHH), has announced on its website that 68% of the country’s pre-paid mobile SIM cards were verified with a valid owner’s identity by the legal deadline of 30 June 2017. Of the remaining 32% of pre-paid SIMs which have now had their network services suspended, the NMHH noted that a significant number were assumed to be inactive/unwanted cards, but users/businesses which missed the registration deadline can still reactivate an unverified SIM and recover any credit balance on the account by providing their identification data and signing an agreement with their network operator, with no time limit set for doing so.

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.