Orange outlines 4G, fibre expansion plans in French Guiana

2 Feb 2017

Stephane Richard, Chairman and CEO of Orange Group, has reaffirmed Orange’s planned investments in high-speed broadband in the French overseas territory (departement d’outre-mer, DOM) of French Guiana (officially Guyane). The executive revealed during his visit to the region that 80% of the population will be covered by 4G LTE by the end of the year. In regards to fibre, Orange Caraibe will cover 100% of the households in Cayenne and Remire-Monjoly, in accordance with commitments made under France’s national broadband strategy, dubbed ‘Tres Haut Debit (THD). A total of 3,000 homes in Cayenne have already been connected to Orange’s fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) network, Richard said.

TeleGeography notes that the THD programme aims to cover roughly 45% of the households/businesses in French Guiana with speeds of at least 10Mbps by 2022, with the remaining 55% in line to benefit from download speeds of 30Mbps and higher (47% of these to be covered by FTTH and 8% by VDSL2). A total public investment of EUR3.71 million (USD4 million) has been pre-approved by the state for the NGA deployment.

French Guiana, Orange Caraibe (French Guiana), Orange Group