NBTC extends Triple T licence ahead of schedule; Mobile LTE becomes 2nd satellite licensee

31 Jan 2017

The telecoms committee of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has reportedly agreed to renew the licence of local ISP Triple T Broadband for another 15 years, effective 30 January 2017. According to The Nation, this decision means that the renewal was granted to the company a full nine years before its original licence term was due to end, in February 2026. As such, the new expiry date for the operator’s concession is 29 January 2032. In its request for the licence extension, the ISP informed the NBTC that it wanted to increase its potential to seek loans from financial institutions, ahead of a 20-year, THB97.919 billion (USD2.773 billion) investment programme, of which THB36.273 billion will be spent in the first five years. Further, Triple T also disclosed plans to expand its fixed line voice service by an additional 800,000 numbers, up from the current figure of 157,000.

In additional licensing news, last week the NBTC issued a 15-year satellite licence to Mobile LTE, a non-operational MVNO concession holder. TeleGeography notes that the company previously acquired wireless spectrum bidding documents back in 2015, only to drop out of the auction proceedings. According to the company’s registration document, as filed with the Department of Business Development, Yenbamroong family members jointly own 56% of Mobile LTE, while British Virgin Islands-registered Petroleum International Investment Corp owns the remaining 44% stake.