ENACOM approves Nextel acquisitions

9 Jan 2017

The National Entity for Communications (Ente Nacional de Comunicaciones, ENACOM) has approved a series of small-scale June 2016 deals agreed by Grupo Clarin-backed Nextel Argentina. The acquired companies have been named as Trixco, Callbi, Infotel, Skyonline de Argentina, Netizen and Eritown Corporation Argentina. Additionally, the Official Gazette also confirms that a seventh company being sought by Nextel – Fibercomm – has had its licence cancelled.

As previously reported by TeleGeography’s CommsUpdate, Nextel agreed to buy five of the six companies – Eritown was not part of the initial wave of deals – in June 2016. Between them, the firms hold radio spectrum in the 900MHz and 2.5GHz bands. 900MHz frequency holder Trixco was bought from Gridley Investments, while the other four were acquired from co-owners WX Telecommunications and Greenmax Telecommunications. Nextel seeks to use the spectrum to launch a 4G LTE network.

Media conglomerate Grupo Clarin acquired 49% of Nextel Argentina in September 2015, before going on to acquire the remaining 51% stake in January 2016.