TeleGeography Logo

Seven companies submit bids for Myanmar’s fourth licence

26 Jan 2016

A total of seven international companies are reportedly interested in participating in Myanmar’s fourth telecoms licence auction, though deputy permanent secretary of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT), Chit Wai, has declined to reveal any further details about the companies that had submitted Expressions of Interest (EoI) earlier this month, Reuters reports.

As previously noted by TeleGeography’s CommsUpdate, the successful applicant will be handed a 15-year licence and form a joint venture with a consortium (or special purpose vehicle, SPV) of eleven local companies, including ISP Yatanarpon Teleport (YTP). The joint venture will be 51% owned by the SPV, whilst the foreign partner will hold the remaining 49%.

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.