Merger speculation surrounds UPC Poland and P4

14 Oct 2015

Press reports from Poland suggest that the international cable TV group Liberty Global could be looking to merge its local subsidiary, UPC Poland, with the country’s fourth largest mobile operator, P4, which trades under the ‘Play’ brand. Rzeczpospolita writes that while neither company has confirmed that talks are being held, Joergen Bang-Jensen, the head of P4, and James Ryan, senior VP and chief strategy officer at Liberty Global, were both in Warsaw this week at a conference on mergers and acquisitions. The tie-up would create a converged fixed-mobile operator with annual revenues of PLN6 billion (USD1.6 billion).

TeleGeography’s CommsUpdate reported last week that P4’s owners, investment funds Tollerton and Novator, are looking to offload their respective stakes in the operator. Greece-based Tollerton, which is itself a subsidiary of Olympia Development, holds 50.3% of P4, while Icelandic firm Novator controls the remaining 49.7% stake. Meanwhile, Liberty Global is already pursuing a merger deal in Belgium, where its local cable subsidiary Telenet is looking to acquire mobile operator BASE Company.

Poland, Liberty Global (incl. LGI), Play (P4), UPC Poland