TeleGeography Logo

P4 to go under the hammer

7 Oct 2015

Poland’s fourth largest mobile operator P4, which trades under the ‘Play’ brand, is to be put up for sale next year by its current owners, investment funds Tollerton and Novator. The deal could be valued at up to PLN7.5 billion (USD2 billion), according to a Reuters report, and is expected to take place by mid-2016. Greece-based Tollerton, which is itself a subsidiary of Olympia Development, holds 50.3% of P4, while Icelandic firm Novator controls the remaining 49.7% stake.

Sources are suggesting that European operators such as Telenor or TeliaSonera could see P4 as a platform to enter the Polish market, while the cellco has in the past been linked as a possible target for domestic fixed line operator Netia. P4’s owners recently threatened legal action against the government should the ongoing sale of 4G wireless spectrum be brought to an early conclusion; P4 is one of six companies bidding for 4G frequencies in the 800MHz and 2600MHz bands.

Poland, Play (P4)

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.