Macedonian cellco One.Vip commences operations

5 Oct 2015

Newly formed Macedonian cellco One.Vip, which was created by the merger of Telekom Slovenije’s subsidiary ONE and Telekom Austria’s domestic unit Vip Operator, has launched commercial operations. Following the merger of its subscriber bases, the new company claims to provide mobile, fixed telephony, broadband and TV services to over 1.30 million customers. The full integration of all operational and technical systems is expected to be finalised by the end of 2016, until which date the company will continue to operate though two separate brands (ONE and Vip Operator) with their own networks, billing systems, tariff portfolios and points of sale. One.Vip’s CEO Nicolas Ljushev commented: ‘At the end of the [integration] process, the new company will be ready to offer all modern communication services in one place. We will offer new products, services and new content, keeping the focus on the needs of users.’

As previously reported by CommsUpdate, in October 2014 Vip Operator and ONE agreed to combine their operations in one company; under the ‘Shareholders and Implementation Agreement’, Telekom Austria will hold a 55% stake and have sole control of the newly created company, while Telekom Slovenije will hold the remaining 45% (with an option to exit the joint venture within three years of merger completion). The deal was subsequently approved by the relevant authorities in July 2015.

North Macedonia, A1 Macedonia (formerly Vip), A1 Telekom Austria Group, ONE (incl. and Cosmofon), Telekom Slovenije (incl. Mobitel)