K-Telecom expands mobile network from Stepanakert to Armenia, paper says

25 Jun 2015

Karabakh Telecom (K-Telecom), a cellular operator and sole fixed telecoms providerin the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh, has extended its mobile network from the Karabakh capital Stepanakert to Armenia, Arka News reports. In a statement the telco confirmed that the network expansion means that it can now provide ‘uninterrupted communication along the strategically important road leading to Armenia,’ to the benefit of residents of Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh), Armenians and tourists in the area. K-Telecom has been operating in Nagorno-Karabakh since February 2002, providing cellular coverage in 95% of its territory. Alongside its 2G and 3G cellular operation, the company also provides wireless and fixed line telephony, plus internet services via ADSL, fibre-optic and Wi-Fi technologies. In September 2007 Russia’s Mobile TeleSystems (MTS) purchased 80% of K-Telecom, paying in excess of USD400 million for the stake to its then Lebanese parent company, the Fattouch Investment Group. It has a call option on the remaining 20%, which it is looking to exercise, but had not done so by mid-2015.

Armenia, Karabakh Telecom