Megacom acquires 75% stake in Kyrgyz Mobile Company for USD3.6m

12 Jun 2015

Alfa Telecom, which offers mobile services under the Megacom brand, has acquired 75% of the shares in dormant cellco Kyrgyz Mobile Company for KGS210 million (USD3.6 million), according to local news site Evening Bishkek. The stake was auctioned on 5 June, with bids starting at KGS160 million. The remaining 25% stake is set to stay under government control.

As previously reported by TeleGeography’s CommsUpdate, in 2011 the National Communications Agency (NCA) allocated GSM and UMTS frequencies to the newly established Kyrgyz Mobile Company. In February 2012 the government proposed a list of companies to be privatised between 2012 and 2014, which included Kyrgyz Mobile Company, with local and international investors subsequently invited to take part in unsuccessful auctions held in 2012 and 2013.

Kyrgyzstan, Kyrgyz Mobile Company, MegaCom (Kyrgyzstan)