Telecom Liechtenstein launches LTE, claims better coverage than 3G

3 Feb 2015

Telecom Liechtenstein (FL1) has launched commercial 4G LTE mobile services, offering peak theoretical download speeds of up to 150Mbps and with more extensive national coverage than the existing FL1 Mobile 3G network, according to an announcement on the company’s website. The operator adds that many available smartphones are already 4G LTE capable and merely require the user to choose the appropriate settings to access the new 4G network, whilst in the case of a user’s SIM card not supporting LTE, Telecom Liechtenstein will replace the SIM for free in its FL1 stores in Schaan or Vaduz. Usage of the LTE network is provided at no additional cost to the user, and data charges shall be charged at the same rates as 2G/3G traffic, depending on the customer’s package. During the remainder of the year, Telecom says that FL1 Mobile LTE roaming partners will be secured in neighbouring countries and across Europe.

TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database says that Telecom Liechtenstein is majority state-owned (75.1%) while Telekom Austria holds the other 24.9%. Formerly 100%-owned by the Principality, in August 2014 Telecom Liechtenstein merged with Telekom Austria Group’s wholly-owned local mobile subsidiary Mobilkom Liechtenstein (FL1), forming a converged mobile, internet, fixed line telephony and television operator under the Telecom Liechtenstein name, while the FL1 brand was adopted by the merged company for marketing all its services.

Liechtenstein, Mobilkom Liechtenstein (became part of FL1), Telecom Liechtenstein (FL1)