TeleGeography Logo

Nationwide DSL expansion could cost EUR25bn, DT says

18 Aug 2014

German telecoms company Deutsche Telekom (DT) has said it could cost up to EUR10 billion (USD13.4 billion) in government funding to increase coverage of its high speed DSL network to 90% of the population. In an interview with German news magazine Focus, Niek Jan van Damme, managing director of the firm’s domestic unit Telekom Deutschland, said that a further EUR15 billion would be required to cover the remaining 10% of Germans with speeds of up to 50Mbps. He added that DT is considering acquisitions of smaller cable operators, stating that the Bonn-based telco was closely monitoring the cable TV market and keeping its buying options open.

Germany, Deutsche Telekom (DT), Telekom Deutschland

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.