Televisa completes USD1.19bn Cablecom takeover

15 Aug 2014

Reuters reports that Mexican TV heavyweight Grupo Televisa has paid MXN8.55 billion (USD654 million) to acquire the remainder of shares in triple-play cable network operator Cablecom it did not already own. Televisa announced last August that it was paying MXN7 billion for 51% of Cablecom with an option to buy the remaining 49%, which it says it has now enacted, taking the total purchase price for 100% of Cablecom to around MXN15.55 billion (roughly USD1.186 billion).

Grupo Televisa is Mexico’s largest provider of both pay-TV (via its combined cable and satellite interests) and free-to-air TV. The group’s assets include triple-play cablecos Cablevision and Cablemas, as well as co-ownership of cellco Iusacell.