RomTelecom rolls out 100G links with Cisco; rebranding on track

22 Jul 2014

Romanian PSTN incumbent RomTelecom has partnered US-based networking technology provider Cisco in deploying what it says are the first 100Gbps transmission links in Romania. Cisco has provided IP routing architecture for the new IP/MPLS network rollout based on its ASR9000 (Aggregated Services Router) and Cisco CRS-3 (Carrier Routing System), with the aim of supporting converged next-generation services including high speed mobile, video and cloud services, while coping with exponential IP traffic growth. The wider programme to modernise RomTelecom’s IP core network, which was initiated in 2013, will be finished in 2015, Dorin Pena, general manager of Cisco Romania said in a release.

In related news, the previously announced plans of RomTelecom and sister cellco Cosmote to rebrand under a shared banner this September have been confirmed, reports, although previous rumours that the two companies would use the respective ‘T-Home’ and ‘T-Mobile’ brands were called inaccurate in the report. Instead, the article says that a joint rebranding will use the convergent ‘Telekom Romania’ banner, in the style of the pair’s indirect shareholder Deutsche Telekom of Germany (part-owner of direct parent OTE of Greece), which groups all its domestic fixed and mobile operations under the one company, Telekom Deutschland. The Romanian newspaper article adds that the remaining small-scale operations of Cosmote’s wholly owned subsidiary Zapp would also be included in any re-grouping of services. However, it remains unclear if any ownership restructuring are on the agenda. RomTelecom is owned by OTE (54.01%) and the Romanian government (45.99%), while Cosmote Romania is owned by OTE (70%), with the remaining 30% held by RomTelecom.