44,720 numbers ported in Moldova in twelve months

7 Jul 2014

Moldovan watchdog, the National Regulatory Agency for Electronic Communications and Information Technology (ANRCETI) has announced that a total of 44,720 numbers have been ported in the country since the introduction of mobile number portability (MNP) and fixed number portability (FNP) services on 1 July 2013 and 1 August 2013, respectively. The regulator pointed out that 90% of the total, or 40,376 ported numbers, were mobile numbers, while the remaining 10% that changed network provider were fixed. In the wireless arena, Moldcell attracted the lion’s share of the ported numbers – 24,812, followed by market leader Orange Moldova (8,038) and Moldtelecom (Unite, 7,526). Of the total 4,344 fixed numbers that changed network, 2,351 transferred their services to StarNet Solutions, while Orange Moldova and Arax-Impex attracted 1,231 and 238 new users, respectively.

Gregory Varan, director of ANRCETI, disclosed that the positive result of implementing NP in Moldova is reflected not only by the number of ports, but also by the efforts of network operators to maintain their customers and attract new ones. Following the implementation of number portability, the three main mobile providers – Orange Moldova, Moldcell and Unite – proposed new offers to subscribers, which (for the first time) included unlimited calls to all phone networks.

Moldova, ANRCETI, Arax, Moldcell, Moldtelecom (Unite), Orange Moldova, StarNet