Is San Antonio hot favourite to become fourth Google Fiber city?

19 Mar 2014

The city of San Antonio has signed an agreement with Google Fiber for the preliminary placement of ‘fiber huts’ throughout the city, reports the San Antonio Express-News. In February this year, San Antonio was named as one of nine major metropolitan areas (encompassing 34 cities) that Google Fiber cited as a possible destination for its next 1Gbps fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) deployment.

The City Council said that the master-lease agreement with holding company Google Fiber Texas will give the service provider the ability to deploy about 40 12-by-26-foot communications shelters that house tech infrastructure. Further, the newspaper notes that the city of San Antonio is in a strong position because it controls CPS Energy, which owns 86% of the utility poles in San Antonio; telco AT&T owns the other 14%.

According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database, Kansas City was declared the winner of the inaugural ‘Google Fiber’ contest on 30 March 2011, beating off more than 1,100 locations in the process. 17 days after the initial announcement, Google announced the decision to include Kansas City, Missouri, thus offering the service to both sides of the state line. Google Fiber is currently commercially available in Kansas City and Provo, Utah. A third city, Austin, Texas, was confirmed as a Google Fiber market in April 2013, but the launch is still pending. Earlier this month, Google confirmed that its Kansas fibre network consisted of ‘nearly 6,000 route miles’.

United States, Google Fiber