'T' time for RomTelecom, Cosmote in 3Q14

13 Mar 2014

RomTelecom’s board of directors has approved the rebranding of the company under indirect owner Deutsche Telekom’s preferred ‘T-’ brand, according to local paper Ziarul Financiar. The business daily gives a 12 September switchover date, and notes that RomTelecom sister company Cosmote Romania will simultaneously adopt the ‘T-Mobile Romania’ brand. The total rebranding budget for RomTelecom has been set at EUR10 million (USD13.9 million), although no figure has been given for Cosmote’s overhaul.

According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database, Cosmote Romania is owned by Greek telco OTE (70%), with the remaining 30% held by RomTelecom. Meanwhile, RomTelecom is owned by OTE (54.01%) and the Romanian state (45.99%). Deutsche Telekom is OTE’s largest shareholder, with a 40% interest.