TeleGeography Logo

CamGSM seeking new investor?

6 Mar 2014

The owners of Cambodian mobile operator CamGSM (Mobitel/Cellcard) are reportedly looking at selling part of their stake to a strategic investor, TMT Finance cites sources as saying. According to the report, a number of trade and private equity parties are continuing to look at the possibility of either acquiring a stake in CamGSM, or its 3,000 telecom towers. ANZ was previously hired to seek buyers for a majority stake in the cellco, and while both Orange Group and PT Telkom Indonesia were both looking at acquiring the business, talks eventually broke down during the due diligence process. ‘The company needs capital to invest in its network, but the current lenders (including Bank of China) are now maxed out. CamGSM has restructured its loan agreements and now struggles to service its debt,’ one source stated. Sources also said that CamGSM has held talks over the sale of its towers, with ‘several’ potential buyers thought to be looking at the assets. Tower Bersama previously conducted due diligence on the towers, but decided not to follow through.

TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database notes that CamGSM is Cambodia’s third largest mobile operator by subscribers, with an estimated 20.5% share of the market at the end of 2013. In August 2009 Luxembourg’s Millicom International Cellular (MIC) agreed to sell its 58.4% stake in CamGSM to the Royal Group of Cambodia, which already held the remaining 41.6%. For USD346 million in cash, the Royal Group acquired MIC’s stake, as well as its holdings in Royal Telecom International and Cambodia Broadcasting Services. The transaction received approval from the regulator and was completed in November 2009.

Cambodia, CamGSM (Cellcard), Orange Group, Telkom Indonesia

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.