Cable compendium: a guide to the week’s submarine and terrestrial developments

New call-to-action

20 Dec 2013

Mexican telecoms giant America Movil and its fixed line unit Telmex have announced they have landed the AMX-1 submarine cable in Cancun and put the service into operation. The 17,800km submarine cable was built by Alcatel-Lucent and is designed for 100G capacity. It links North and Central America to the southern tip of South America. Connection points are in Miami and Jacksonville (US), Barranquilla and Cartagena (Colombia), Fortaleza, Salvador and Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic), Cancun (Mexico), San Juan (Puerto Rico) and Puerto Barrios (Guatemala). Installation took 19 months and a total investment of USD1.1 billion.

Search engine giant Google Inc has opened its first ever data centres in Asia as it looks to boost its growth in the region. The two new facilities are based in Changhua County, Taiwan and Jurong West, Singapore. ‘The growth in Asia’s internet has been amazing,’ Joe Kava, vice president of data centres at Google, said in a blogpost.

Fujitsu has delivered the first quarter, milestone design studies for a USD400 million fibre link to South East Asia for Trident Subsea Cable System. Trident was established to capitalise on the international data transmission demand growth between Australia and South East Asia. Trident is said to be the first purpose-built, fibre-optic subsea cable linking Perth, the Pilbara region of Western Australia, Jakarta (Indonesia) and Singapore. The Terrestrial Route study has also commenced, which will see Fujitsu and its delivery partners scrutinise the proposed land route for the cable.

Jean-Luc Marx, the Prefect of Reunion, mayor of Saint-Denis Gilbert Annette, and the local representative of the Orange Group have signed an agreement for the deployment of a fibre-optic network in Saint-Denis, the administrative capital of the Indian Ocean territory. The agreement forms part Orange’s broader commitment of to bring optical fibre to 220 French cities by 2020.

TIM Participacoes (TIM Brasil) has announced the selection of optical networking and WAN optimisation solutions provider Xtera Communications, for the rollout of 100G optical networking equipment on its long-haul transmission infrastructure in north east Brazil. The infrastructure in question links Salvador and Fortaleza, the capital cities of the Bahia and Ceara states, respectively, using terrestrial Dispersion-Shifted Fibre (DSF) spanning more than 1,000km. Fortaleza is the landing point for several high-capacity submarine cables connecting Brazil with North America and Europe.

TeliaSonera has acquired an 80% stake in open access fibre broadband network provider Zitius. The holding was bought from broadcaster Modern Times Group (MTG), which itself acquired the ownership in July 2012 from Quadracom with an option to purchase the remaining 20% in 2016. Zitius is reportedly Sweden’s largest independent open access communications provider, with a fibre network connecting approximately 160,000 households, roughly over a third (around 55,000) of which subscribe to a service via the Zitius network.