VivaCell-MTS to install more 2G/3G BTS in Armenia

18 Nov 2013

In an effort to further expand its service coverage, Armenian mobile operator VivaCell-MTS is planning to roll out additional base transceiver stations (BTS) capable of supporting 2G and 3G technology by the end of this year. In a press release, the cellco confirmed that since 1 January 2013 it has installed a total of 203 new BTS across Armenia’s regions, and that in order to meet its new expansion drive, it has filed an application with the country’s regulator, the Public Services Regulatory Commission (PSRC) for rights to use additional microwave radio frequencies. It is understood the filing was approved last Wednesday.

TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database notes that in September 2007 Russia’s Mobile TeleSystems (MTS) purchased an 80% indirect stake in VivaCell-MTS from Karabakh Telecom (K-Telecom), paying in excess of USD400 million for the cellco from its Lebanese parent company, the Fattouch Investment Group. It has a call option on the remaining 20% which remains in the hands of Fattouch.

Armenia, MTS Armenia (Viva-MTS)