MTS lines up deal for AKADO

5 Jun 2013

According to Kommersant, Russian telecoms giant Mobile TeleSystems (MTS) has entered into talks to acquire Moscow-based fixed line operator AKADO Telecom, as part of a drive to expand its footprint in the capital. An unnamed source revealed: ‘MTS has officially sent an offer to the AKADO shareholders, it is being discussed’. The move follows an approach by TransTeleCom (TTK), which initiated ‘unofficial talks’ with AKADO last month.

According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database, AKADO is majority owned by US-based firm Moscow CableCom Corp (MOCC) which has itself been wholly owned by Russian private equity investor Renova Media Enterprises since July 2007. Renova holds a 67% stake in the business, while the telco’s chairman Yuriy Pripachkin is thought to hold the remaining 33%.

Russia, AKADO Telecom, Mobile TeleSystems (MTS)