Ugandan cellcos call for extra time for SIM registration

28 May 2013

Ugandan wireless operators have called on the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) to further extend the deadline for SIM registration amidst concerns that large number of subscribers would be disconnected. Local news portal the Daily Monitor quotes Justina Ntabgoba, the MTN corporate affairs manager, as saying that the South African-backed provider had completed registration of around 85% of its customers, but would struggle to guarantee the remaining 15% would be registered before the cut-off point. The UCC granted a 180-day extension to the SIM registration programme, allowing customers an additional 90 days to register, and cellcos a further 90 days to complete verification. However, the operators have called for the watchdog to allow them a further grace period to ensure that subscribers in remote areas are not disconnected.