TeleGeography Logo

Belarus continues quest to find suitor for MTS stake

24 Apr 2013

Belarus’ deputy prime minister Anatoly Kalinin reportedly told a press conference that the government is still in the hunt for an investor to buy its stake in mobile network operator MTS Belarus and that its policy ‘remains unchanged’. Online news portal BelTA quotes the minister as saying that despite external pressure to do so, it has not revised its asking price for the 51% stake on offer, and is still interested in attracting potential bidders. MTS of Russia owns the remaining 49% and has long argued that the USD1 billion valuation is inflated. To bear this out, the state has spent over a year now trying – unsuccessfully – to offload its 51% stake. It is thought that along with MTS, Turkish mobile network operator Turkcell and an Iranian investment vehicle are interested in the stake. Despite two pre-sale presentations designed to drum up interest, the date of the auction has yet to be finalised.

Belarus, Mobile TeleSystems (MTS), MTS Belarus

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.