TeleGeography Logo

Slovakia begins talks on selling Slovak Telekom stake

14 Mar 2013

Slovakia’s government has decided to begin negotiations on the potential sale of its 49% stake in Slovak Telekom (ST), majority owned by Germany’s Deutsche Telekom (DT), which holds the right of first refusal on the shares. The much-delayed privatisation of the state’s holding in ST has been proposed to raise funds for a government buyout of two private health insurance companies, notes financial newspaper Hospodarske Noviny, a plan for which has been drawn up by the Ministry of Economy for discussion by the government. The plan is aimed at bringing the country closer to creating a single national health insurance system in 2014.

TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database says that the Ministry of Economy owns 34% and the National Property Fund (NPF) a 15% slice of ST, while DT holds first refusal rights on the combined 49% stake, and is also required to give permission for an initial public offering (IPO); the German firm has said it will consider taking its ownership in ST to 100% if it makes economic sense. The market value of the state’s share has been estimated at roughly equal to ST’s consolidated revenues, which slumped by 6.7% to EUR837.4 million (USD1.089 billion) in 2012. Former Minister of Economy Juraj Miskov (who left the post in 2012) claimed that the state’s 49% in ST was worth ‘more than EUR1 billion’, a figure well above estimates made in the course of the sale of 51% to DT in 2000, mainly because the company now includes the merged mobile operator formerly known as T-Mobile Slovensko which was completed in July 2010. Previous government proposals for total privatisation of ST have favoured an IPO as a means of getting the highest possible returns from the sale.

Slovakia, Deutsche Telekom (DT), Slovak Telekom (ST, incl. DIGI)

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.

TeleGeography

TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.