TeleGeography Logo

Temasek Holdings offloads 2.5% of SingTel for USD1.04bn

26 Sep 2012

Singapore’s state investment firm Temasek Holdings has divested a 2.5% stake in Singapore Telecommunications (SingTel) for SGD1.28 billion (USD1.04 billion), according to unconfirmed sources familiar with the situation. Industry watchers say the government-backed group’s move is part of a wider plan to shift its investments away from some of its traditional areas in the city-state’s financial sector, and re-balance its portfolio to reflect the rising importance of China-based firms which are expected to yield better long-term growth opportunities.

The divestment resulted in SingTel’s share price dipping by 5.1% on the Singapore Exchange on Wednesday, hitting a low of SGD3.16. According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database, prior to the sale Temasek Holdings owned a 54.4% stake in Southeast Asia’s leading telecoms group by subscribers and revenue. The remaining 45.6% is in free float.

Singapore, Singtel Group

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.