eMobile and Ratuken set up new 4G service

20 Sep 2012

The Japanese cellular operator eMobile has partnered with one of the country’s largest online retailers, Ratuken, to establish a new mobile data venture, Ratuken eMobile. The company will use eMobile’s Long Term Evolution (LTE) network to offer a low-cost 4G wireless service under the brand Ratuken Super Wi-Fi. The service, which will be launched on 1 October, will provide 4G access for JPY3,880 (USD49.28) a month, with a free Wi-Fi mobile router provided to all subscribers. Customers will receive loyalty rewards for all online purchases made via the Ratuken portal. Ratuken controls 51% of the new venture while eMobile’s parent company eAccess holds the remaining 49%. eMobile launched its 4G LTE network in March this year and expects to be covering 70% of Japan’s population by next March, according to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database.

Japan