Brazil mobile base tops 250m at end-March

18 Apr 2012

Brazil was home to a total of 250.8 million mobile phone lines at the end of March, thanks to net additions of 3.2 million in the month, boosting cellular penetration to 128%. Of the total lines in service, the overwhelming majority (81.83%, or 205.2 million) were pre-paid, while the remainder (18.17%, or 45.6 million) were on monthly contracts. At the end of March 2012 Vivo Participacoes was the leading player in the Brazilian market with a 29.81% share (equivalent to 74.763 million lines), followed by TIM Brasil (26.80%, or 67.214 million users), Telecom Americas’ Claro brand (24.56%, 61.596 million), Telemar Norte Leste’s Oi service (18.53%, 46.473 million), Algar Telecom’s CTBC Celular (0.27%, 677,160 lines) and Sercomtel (0.03%, 75,240). The national regulator Anatel added that at the same date the number of 3G activations (including handset and mobile broadband dongle users) stood at almost 52 million.