TeleGeography Logo

Qtel meets with Tunisian PM to discuss investment

11 Jan 2012

Tunisian Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali has met with Qtel’s chairman Sheikh Abdullah Bin Mohammad Bin Saud al-Thani to discuss further investment from the Qatar based company in its Tunisian holdings, reports Tunisia Live. Qtel currently owns a 75% stake in wireless operator Tunisiana, whilst the remaining 25% is held by the state, having reclaimed the asset from Sakhr el-Matri, the son-in-law of ousted President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali. Tunisiana, which competes in the mobile sector with French-backed Orange Tunisia and state-owned Tunicell, is expected to receive a 3G licence soon, nearly a year after the end of Orange’s exclusivity period. It is believed that Qtel’s investment plans include increasing its stake in Tunisiana, and the future development of 3G and 4G platforms.

Tunisia, Ooredoo Group, Ooredoo Tunisia

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.