TeleGeography Logo

Smart Mobile widens network coverage

12 Dec 2011

Cambodian wireless operator Smart Mobile has expanded network coverage to the provinces of Oddar Meanchey, Preah Vihear and Mondulkiri, Telecompaper reports. The company’s GSM/GPRS/EDGE mobile services currently cover around 80% of the population and roughly 50% of the country’s territory, while Smart Mobile’s HSPA+ mobile broadband network, which was commercially launched in August 2011, is available in 14 provinces. According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database, Smart Mobile (owned by Latelz, a subsidiary of Cyprus-based and Russian-owned Timeturns Holdings) became Cambodia’s eighth mobile operator when it launched commercial GSM services in Phnom Penh and Siem Riep in March 2009. At the start of 2011 Smart Mobile merged its operations with Applifone, the local unit of Swedish telecoms group TeliaSonera, under the Smart Mobile brand. TeliaSonera’s 75.5%-owned unit TeliaSonera Asia Holding owns 25% of the new company, and Latelz the remaining 75%.

Cambodia, Smart Axiata

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.