TeleGeography Logo

SingTel launches ST-2 orbiter

23 May 2011

Southeast Asia’ largest telecoms group by subscribers and revenue, Singapore Telecommunications Limited (SingTel), has successfully launched the country’s second commercial satellite, named ST-2. Carried on board the Ariane 5 ECA rocket, ST-2 was launched from Kourou, French Guiana. SingTel chief executive officer Ms Chua Sock Koong says the satellite will form a core part of the group’s Corporate Business strategy. The launch of ST-2 will enable SingTel to ‘lead and shape’ markets such as the maritime, oil and gas, media and broadcast, as well as logistics industries, she said. The new satellite, which is almost twice as powerful as ST-1 (launched in 1998), will help the telco to meet growing customer demand for fixed and mobile satellite services. The new orbiter, built by Melco, was set up as a joint venture between SingTel and Taiwanese counterpart Chunghwa Telecom. SingTel has an approximate 62% stake in the venture, while Chunghwa Telecom owns the remaining 38%.

Singapore, Singtel Group

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.