TeleGeography Logo

Anatel reports 29m new mobile connections in 2010

20 Jan 2011

The total number of registered SIMs in Brazil reached 202.9 million at the end of last year, thanks to the net addition of 29 million phones over the twelve-month period. The net gain was the second largest annual increase ever reported by national regulator Anatel; a record 29.7 million new mobile phones were added in 2008. By 31 December 2010 cellular penetration in the country reached 104.7%, with pre-paid services accounting for the overwhelming majority of lines (167.1 million, or 82.3%) and contract customers the remainder (35.8 million, 17.7%). In addition, GSM continues to be the most popular technology, used by some 87.8% of mobile phones, although Anatel reported 20.6 million 3G connections by the year-end, an increase of 138.1% year-on-year.

Vivo Participacoes retained its leading position in the market as at 31 December, with a 29.70% share of subscriptions, compared with 30.14% in September. America Movil (Claro) was the second largest player with a 25.40% market share, down slightly from 25.47% three months earlier. Third place was taken by TIM Brasil with 25.10%, up from 24.52% previously, while fourth-placed Oi had 19.40% of the market, down from 19.51% in September.


GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.