CamTel extends fibre-optic network to south

8 Oct 2010

Cameroon’s incumbent fixed line operator CamTel has expanded its fibre-optic network to three towns in the south of the country, the Cameroon Tribune reports. In total 450km of optical fibre has been deployed in Kye-Ossi, Ambam and Ebolowa. According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database, state-owned CamTel and strategic partner Huawei Technologies of China began rolling out a 5,000km national fibre-optic backbone in December 2009. The government hopes that the new infrastructure, which is slated for completion in the first half of 2011, will help the country cope with increased traffic, as well as boosting access to broadband services, benefiting 70% of the population. The majority of the funds (USD52 million, or 85% of the required investment) has been provided by a loan from China’s Eximbank, while the government of Cameroon is supplying the remaining 15%.

Cameroon, CamTel, Huawei Technologies