TeleGeography Logo

Telekom Austria acquires remaining 30% stake in Velcom

5 Oct 2010

Telekom Austria has announced that it has agreed a deal to acquire the remaining 30% of SB Telecom, the sole owner of Belarusian mobile operator Velcom. The Austrian telco snapped up a 70% stake in SB Telecom in October 2007, and yesterday the companies exercised a put option for the remaining 30%. The purchase price for the stake amounts to EUR335 million (USD459 million). According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database, Velcom is the second largest cellco in Belarus, claiming a 40.1% share of the subscriber market at the end of June 2010.

Belarus, A1 Belarus, A1 Telekom Austria Group

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.

TeleGeography

TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.