Two mobile TV licences issued

13 Sep 2010

The Independent Communication Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has issued DVB-H mobile TV broadcasting licences to E.tv and Multichoice, who were the only valid applicants. ICASA initially aimed to see mobile TV launched prior to the FIFA 2010 World Cup, but after missing a deadline a new tender was issued in April this year, according to AllAfrica. E.tv subsequently applied for 40% of the wireless frequencies on offer, after which a second invitation was sent out in May for the remaining 60% of spectrum, which was claimed by Multichoice. Applications were also received from Mobile TV Consortium and Super 5 Media, but these failed to comply with regulations. ICASA councillor Robert Nkuna said if everything went according to plan, [DVB-H broadcast] mobile TV will be available to the public within twelve months.

South Africa