TeleGeography Logo

Omantel showcases LTE network

19 Jul 2010

According to a report by the Oman Daily Observer, incumbent telecoms operator Omantel has carried out a demonstration of its Long Term Evolution (LTE) network. The company hopes the ‘4G’ technology will be able to offer consumers transmission speeds of up to 100Mbps in the future. Samy bin Ahmed al Ghassany, vice-president for Networks and Integrated Technology at Omantel, said the new network will support the government’s efforts to implement a digital society in Oman by providing new applications, such as video on demand (VoD), mobile television streaming and other services for the business, banking and medical sectors. According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database, Omantel is 70%-owned by the state, with the remaining 30% held by private investors. It was the country’s largest mobile operator by subscribers at 31 March 2010 with a user base of 1.979 million, although sole rival Nawras, which had 1.937 million users at the same date, is steadily catching up with the incumbent.

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.