Telkom selects Macquarie to advise on USD1.2bn tower deal

14 Apr 2010

PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia (Telkom) has selected Macquarie Group Ltd to advise it on a USD800 million-USD1.2 billion telecoms tower deal, adding that it also plans to list the tower unit. Reuters writes that Telkom, Indonesia’s biggest telecoms group by revenues, is looking to acquire Singapore Telecommunications (SingTel’s) interests in approximately 9,000 telecoms towers before the end of 2010. The towers in question are owned by Telkom’s majority owned mobile arm PT Telekomunikasi Selular (Telkomsel); Telkom owns 65% and SingTel owns the remaining 35%. Telkom’s Rinaldi Firmansyah is quoted as saying that ‘The negotiation with SingTel is currently ongoing and we have appointed Macquarie to advise us as it has extensive experience in infrastructure.’ Once the transaction is completed, Firmansyah says that Telkom will look to consolidate the towers under the wing of its own PT Dayamitra Telekomunikasi (Mitratel) unit, which will be tasked with focusing on the telecoms infrastructure business. It will then look to list Mitratel on the local bourse, the official added. ‘We have about 20,000 towers but only about 9,000 are economically feasible, meaning that we could lease those to other operators,’ Firmansyah went on to say.