Digicel Haiti also gets additional spectrum

3 Feb 2010

Haitian telecoms regulator Conatel has granted the country’s largest mobile network operator by subscribers, Digicel Haiti, an additional 10MHz of GSM wireless spectrum for a twelve-month period to ease network congestion in the aftermath of the catastrophic earthquake on 12 January, the company told BNamericas. ‘The extra spectrum allows us to increase the capacity at each cell site,’ said Digicel’s head of group public relations Antonia Graham. Digicel reported last week that 92% of its 900MHz base stations were fully operational with the remaining 8% – rooftop sites destroyed by the earthquake – being replaced with mobile cell sites. Some of those have already been deployed with the remainder scheduled to be commissioned in the coming weeks. The temporary spectrum award follows Monday’s news that the second largest Haitian mobile operator Comcel (Voila) had been granted an additional 12MHz in the 850MHz band by Conatel to address congestion problems.

Haiti, Digicel Haiti