Brazil mobile base reaches 162m in July

20 Aug 2009

Brazil’s mobile operators collectively added approximately 2.3 million new mobile connections last month to end July with a total of 162 million, according to data published by the telecoms regulator Anatel. In the period January-July 2009 a total of 11.2 million lines were activated, down from the 14.3 million lines added in the corresponding period of 2008. Anatel’s findings noted that of the total for end-July, a sizeable 133 million lines (or 81.9% of the total) were pre-paid with the remaining 29.3 million (18.1%) being subscribers on monthly contracts. GSM technology represented 90.7% of total mobile lines at the same date, and CDMA accounted for 5.9%. Brazil’s mobile penetration rate reached 84.6% at 31 July, up from 83.5% a month earlier, although Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Mato Grosso do Sul states saw mobile penetration breaking the 100% barrier last month, reaching 100.1%, 100.6%, and 100.6%, respectively. Vivo Participacoes continues to lead the market with a 29.4% market share, followed by Telecom Americas (Claro) with 25.4%, TIM Brasil with 23.8% and Telemar Norte Leste (Oi) with 21.2%.