SeCom revokes Clarin VoIP decision

27 Jul 2009

Argentina’s telecoms ministry Secretaria de Comunicaciones (SeCom) has decided to revoke the permission granted to Grupo Clarin to offer telephony services on its network, just one week after it approved the same proposal, writes BNamericas, citing the media group’s newspaper Clarin. The decision follows an appeal made by incumbent telcos Telefonica de Argentina and Telecom Argentina, alongside the southern cooperatives federation Fecosur, against the ministry’s decision to allow the group to offer voice-over-IP (VoIP) telephony. According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms database, Grupo Clarin already offers cable TV and broadband services via Grupo Cablevision and Multicanal (Flash), of which Clarin owns a 60% stake, with Fintech owning the remaining 40%. The company had hoped to offer triple-play packages with telephony services through Cablevision’s ISP Fibertel. Cablevision responded with sharp criticism of the reversal, saying that stopping its VoIP plans would decrease competition in the country’s telecoms market.