Multilinks invests USD440 million in network

10 Jun 2009

Nigerian fixed-wireless operator Multilinks has invested NGN65 billion (USD440 million) in its network since the company’s acquisition by Telkom of South Africa in 2007, according to Nigerian newspaper Daily Independent. The funds have been ploughed into expanding the company’s CDMA network infrastructure throughout the country to cover 58 towns and cities. In the near future, Multilinks plans to expand its network to an additional 24 towns, increase its subscriber base to 2.5 million and hopes to support a five-year national fibre-optic infrastructure development plan. The operator’s managing director, Thami Msimango, said there were still a number of challenges facing his company, including vandalism of infrastructure, an inadequate power supply and multiple taxation, resulting in inconsistent and unstructured demands by some government agencies. According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms database, Telkom acquired a 75% stake in Multilinks on 1 May 2007 for USD280 million and bought the remaining 25% from Kenston Investments for USD130 million in January 2009.

Nigeria, Multi-links