TRA fines Etisalat AED400,000

30 Apr 2009

United Arab Emirates-based telecoms operator Etisalat has been fined AED400,000 (USD108,927) by the country’s Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) for non-compliance with fair-competition rules, according to Gulf News. Etisalat, along with its sole competitor Du, were required to introduce carrier pre-selection (CPS) by June 2008. While Du complied, Etisalat failed to adopt the service by the deadline given by the TRA. Last month, TRA fined Etisalat AED200,000 and issued a new deadline of 16 April, which was also ignored. The fine has since doubled and a new deadline of 16 May has been set. The fine will continue to double for each month of non-compliance. Etisalat said it had upgraded 70% of its network to enable CPS, while the remaining 30% allows the service to be used with special dialing codes or devices. According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms database, Etisalat had a total of 1.36 million fixed lines at the end of 2008, while its sole rival Du recorded 280,000.