Minister: RomTelecom sale not an immediate priority

12 Jan 2009

Romania’s new IT and Communications Minister has said that the full privatisation of dominant fixed line operator RomTelecom is not a priority, local newspaper The Business Standard reports. Gabriel Sandu is planning a complete reorganisation of the IT&C Ministry and also says he will concentrate on narrowing the gap between urban and rural areas in terms of broadband internet access. The previous IT&C Minister, Karoly Borbely, had planned a sale of the state’s 45.99% stake in RomTelecom for 2008 but postponed this to 2009 due to the international financial crisis. The remaining 54.01% of RomTelecom is held by OTE of Greece.