TeleGeography Logo

Omantel and TMI qualify for second stage of wireless tender

1 Dec 2008

Consortia backed by Oman Telecommunications Company (Omantel) and TM International (TMI) have qualified for the second stage of a tender for Iran’s third wireless network operator licence, which reportedly also includes a two-year exclusivity period for a 3G network. According to a press release from Omantel it has formed a consortium with a number of local and international partners to bid for the concession, although it stopped short of naming its partners. According to the statement, Iran, with a population of 73 million and a wireless penetration of less than 60%, offers huge opportunities for growth not least because around half of the population is under 25 years of age.

Malaysia’s TM International (TMI) has also pre-qualified to bid for the licence. In a statement TMI said its bid was due to be submitted to the Communications Regulator of Iran on 6 December. To bid for the licence, TMI’s wholly owned subsidiary Indocel Holding formed a consortium with Iranian firms Fanavari Moudj Khavar and Sarmayegozarie Atiyeh Saba. Indocel will hold a 49% stake in the joint venture while the Iranians will hold the remaining 51% stake. TMI already has a presence in Iran via its 49% stake in Mobile Telecommunications Company of Esfahan, which is licensed to provide telecoms services in the Esfahan province only.

GlobalComms Database

Want more? Peruse the GlobalComms Database—the most complete source of intel about mobile, fixed broadband, and fixed voice markets.


TeleGeography is the definitive source for telecom news, numbers, and analysis. Explore the full research catalog.