RomTelecom loses fixed line customers but sees gains in broadband

29 Aug 2008

Romanian fixed line operator, RomTelecom, reported its number of fixed lines in service decreased by 3% year-on-year, from 3.09 million to 2.99 million as of 30 June 2008. However, it had 505,000 fibre optic lines (broadband internet) at the same date, which was three times as many as twelve months previously.

The company reported an operating income before depreciation and amortisation (OIBDA) of EUR124.3 million (USD183.4 million) for the first half of 2008, down by 24.5% year-on-year. Income from domestic fixed calls declined 15%, from EUR275.1 million to EUR233.4 million, while the revenue obtained from international calls fell 8.3%, from EUR57.6 million to EUR52.8 million. Operating expenses increased by 11% to EUR440.2 million from EUR395.4 million for the same period of 2007.

Greek group OTE is RomTelecom’s majority shareholder with a 55% interest in the operator, while the Romanian state holds the remaining 45%.